Wednesday 25 March 2009

The play inspector calls.....part 3

Inspection calls are rather like buses; you can wait for ages for one to come along and then suddenly many arrive in quick succession! It was so quiet from November through to February. Just fifteen jobs over a four-month period. I really thought the credit crunch was beginning to hit the UK indoor play industry big time. And then March! Eleven jobs done as I write this piece with three more to do before the end of the month. The types of inspections are very evenly split with seven post-installations and seven annuals. Good to have some variety it keeps the mind sharp. Last week it was four on the South Coast; this week has started with two in the North East. Today it’s the East Midlands, tomorrow the West Midlands. It’s a wonder my car doesn’t get dizzy!

Back to last week. I thought it was going to start with an inspection on the Wednesday but suddenly the call came through that this was postponed. Not to worry. A very welcome extra 24 hours to get over the Bangkok jetlag!

Thursday: Driving almost due south from my home in Stafford to a play centre that has become something of a regular for me over the years. I first inspected it way back in July 1994. Little did I realize then that I would still be climbing its frames and trudging my way through its ball pools in March 2009! In fact the number of past reports in my bulging file shows this one to be the 28th. It must hold the national record for the highest number of my inspection visits. Still, the fact that it continues to give good service in a busy seaside resort and against competition from a growing number of more modern play centres in the area must say something. It does. It is always well staffed with a well-led highly motivated team backed by very good management. Vital ingredients if a play centre is going to survive and prosper. Others take note.

On to the next job and this time not far to motor. An interesting and impressively large Play Centre designed, manufactured and installed by a Chinese company. Having carried out its post-installation inspection last year I was keen to see how it was getting on. A very positive first year of trading was reported and the play frame and equipment was standing up well to the rigours of many tiny feet. Again it soon became clear that its success was due in no small measure to the drive, energy and sheer commitment of its General Manager. Staff selection working well.

Forty miles down the coast and I was able to get job number three in on the same day. I’ll sleep well tonight! Another Play Centre of the same chain as the last one and again of Chinese origin. This time built in 2007. Very similar story. The fabric of the facility looking good and the Centre being very ably led. Another successful year of business reported.

Finally I need a bed. But have you ever tried to park your car in Brighton? I lost count of the number of circuits I made of the sea front before opting to stay overnight in a hotel with its own underground car park. A very hot Indian curry was eagerly sought. I felt I had earned it.

Friday: A shortish journey to the last job of the week. A play centre built by a British company in 2006. Some wear and tear found and there was a need to tighten up on a few operational procedures but no big safety issues. Three hours later I am heading home via the M25 and through Friday afternoon traffic! No need for speed cameras – portrait painters can do the job! A weekend of Report writing looms. Must keep on top.

Nick Balmforth is an inspector of Soft Play areas and is renowned for his expertise and knowledge of creating and operating safe Indoor Play areas. This blog is an excerpt of his diary which he shares with the Shareandcompareplay.com community in the hope that regular communication and insight will benefit the industry and raise standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment