Wednesday 1 April 2009

The play inspector calls.....part 4

Another varied week and a reminder that when I refer to providers of indoor play facilities I am not just talking about those who run Play and Party Centres as a private business but also those that want an indoor play facility as part of a wider range of child and family services offered in their establishment. These can be in recreation, child-care, visitor centres, airports, theme parks, passenger ships or whatever. Over the 18 years or so that I have been doing this work I have never ceased to be amazed at the many and varied places the inspections have taken me. For my part it all helps to keep my business life interesting and it also shows just how this still fledgling industry has spread its wings since it began to see light of day in children’s hospitals and special schools back in the 1970s.

Last week of the four jobs carried out two were in local authority run sports and leisure centres up in the North East, one was a large established play centre run in association with a children’s nursery on a trading estate in the East Midlands and the other a small down-town day nursery in the West Midlands. Three were independent post-installation inspections and one an annual. Play frames and equipment inspected came from three different suppliers, all British.

Monday: I Head north-east up the A1. A long-haul journey with refreshment break at Scotch Corner but traffic is generally light and progress none too difficult. My targets are two established Sports Centres close to or on the east coast each having serious money spent on them as part of a major upgrading of facilities. My Sat-Nav gets totally confused as I approach the Tyne-Tunnel. Do a U Turn! Are you serious? I arrive at the first job. So glad I keep my hard hat and fluorescent jacket in the back of the car since the site is teeming with construction workers. Fairly small two-level play frame, very well designed and built and with no big safety issues to address. Move on. Next site a convenient five miles away so soon there. Main problem is that another 24 hours are necessary before the site is completely finished although the basics are all in. Still this gives me a welcome opportunity to talk through some remaining issues with both the installation team leader and the Sports Centre Manager and both seem to feel it was good to have me there at that time. All safety issues appear to have been well thought about and planned for and I eventually leave site confident the job will be well finished off.

Tuesday: I arrive at a large, attractive and now well established Play Centre. It is well said you never get a second chance to make a first impression. This Centre never fails to impress me. As soon as I set foot through the door it is immediately warm, inviting and informative. Reception staff show all the evidence of good training and go through all the correct admission procedures. So important! I am met warmly by the owner who soon hands over a full analysis of all the accidents and injuries recorded at his Centre over the previous twelve months. Altogether it is a very impressively detailed piece of work by a very well organised and caring proprietor. Unsurprisingly the remainder of the annual inspection is a pleasure to carry out.

Wednesday: From one of the largest Play Centres to one of the smallest I have ever inspected. But that makes it no less valuable to those who run it and the Day Nursery children who came in to trial it whilst I was there certainly gave it the thumbs-up. A few safety issues to address – there often are in very small facilities where everything is very close but essentially the product is well designed and built.

That’s all the travelling for this week but again reports have to be written so it’s back to the computer.

Nick Balmforth is an inspector of Soft Play areas and is renowned for his expertise and knowledge of creating and operating safe Indoor Play areas. This blog is an excerpt of his diary which he shares with the Shareandcompareplay.com community in the hope that regular communication and insight will benefit the industry and raise standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment